28 January 2012

Just dropping this here for convenient reference.

Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd
Path: sparky!uunet!mcsun!news.funet.fi!hydra!klaava!torvalds
From: torvalds@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Torvalds)
Subject: Re: 386BSD vs Linux: major differences?
Message-ID: <1992Dec20.115036.7197@klaava.Helsinki.FI>
Organization: University of Helsinki
References:
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1992 11:50:36 GMT
Lines: 17

In article davis@csrg2.ee.iastate.edu(Jim Davis) writes:
> But I have wondered
>why there are two efforts to provide a free UNIX...is it just coincidence
>that two groups developed a distribution at about the same time? or did
>they have different goals? or is this a BSD vs. System-V thing?

It's just coincidence: I knew about 386bsd through DDJ, but it obviously
wasn't ready when I would have wanted it, so I just started on my own.
If 386bsd had been ready one year earlier, I'd probably not have started
on linux at all, but used bsd instead - although I'm very happy with how
it all turned out.

As to bsd vs sysv - no, nothing like that. Linux isn't exactly sysv,
but has a lot of features from both camps, and looks a bit more like
sysv simply because POSIX generally leans in that direction.

Linus

No comments:

Post a Comment